The Pakistan Internat
ional Airlines (PIA) has suffered loss of Rs 2 billion following suspension of flights to Saudi Arabia after temporary ban on Umrah due to coronavirus.
The PIA officials told media on Tue
sday that the schedule of the airlines has been badly disturbed as tickets of 50,000 passengers have been canc
elled so far.
The authorities said that 34 flights to Medina and 13 to Mecca are scheduled weekly for business visa and iqama holders despite fewer passengers.
Furthermore, the financial loss is expected to surge due to suspension of flight
operation for Qatar and Iran.
Meanwhile, the PIA announced cancellation of direct flight
operations to Italy till March 31. On the other hand, Italy has barred foreign visitors from entering the country over fears of Coronavirus.
A PIA spokesperson said that flights to Milan from Islamabad and Lahore have been canc
elled but flights to Paris, France will continue.
However, those flying to Paris will do so with the written assurance that any further travel will be arranged by the passenger himself.
The spokesperson also said that tickets of all canc
elled flights will be fully refunded and PIA regrets any inconvenience caused by the cancellations.
Earlier, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) had banned direct flights between Pakistan and Iran after the two confirmed cases of coronavirus surfaced in the country.